The Growing Place
 

Rich Massat, owner in the perennial fields, Naperville location in the mid 1970's.

OUR ROOTS...

In 1936, Emma and Fritz Glatzhofer opened Emma's Perennials selling field grown perennials on Plank Road in Naperville. For 35 years they earned a great reputation for growing the finest perennials in the Chicago area. Plants were propagated and planted in 4 by 12 foot beds and when ready, dug for customers.

In 1973, after both Emma and Fritz had passed away, their nephew, Rich Massat, and his wife, Carol, undertook the challenge of re-establishing Emma's Perennials excellent quality. After a few years of digging perennials for customers, the Massats found that it was impossible to keep up with the demand. They began propagation of perennials in containers, empowering Rich to offer plants throughout the season and maintain quality. Expanding the nursery by adding annuals, trees, shrubs, roses, natives, water plants, bulbs, seeds, and groundcovers was key to their success.

In 1976 the name was changed to The Growing Place and a goal was set to deliver uncompromising quality and selection. The production beds were converted to beautiful display gardens that are called Learning Gardens due to their user-friendly signage and nearly 1,000 varieties of plants.

Today, Rich and Carol still actively manage both locations of The Growing Place. They are proud of the 65 employees who have been with them for 7 years or more and the 14 employees, 15 years or more. They are especially pleased that their son, Michael, has joined them and oversees the Aurora location.

 

Youtube

Copyright - The Growing Place Privacy Policy